Sunday, December 30, 2012

I've Had Enough Of Multitask Birding !

December was a busy month for me so I tried to squeeze birding opportunities in between various tasks on my to-do list. I stopped at Westmore Park on my way to a meeting. I've had good luck there in the past finding warblers in the spring, swallows in the summer, and an Eastern Screech Owl last winter.
This time the best I could manage was a mockingbird, farm animals, and a few starlings.
I stopped by Lyman's Orchard for a deli sandwich and did a quick scan of their man-made pond. I found Mallards, Canada Geese, and Ring-billed Gulls.
This is a nice stretch of power lines I found on my way to do some Christmas shopping. There was plenty of food and a lot of bird activity there. I  found Winter Wren, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Juncos, goldfinches, sparrows, and Eastern Bluebirds. No time to track them down for photos though.
On my way to the dump I stopped by Great  Hill Pond and found some Hooded Mergansers.
 It was a relief to stay home during a snow storm this weekend. I could stay in one place and watch birds at my feeder (when I wasn't shoveling snow).

  Multitasking seems to be a popular term these days. Many people take pride in their ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously. I think that it's a little overrated. If  I'm trying to do a number of things at once I'm less efficient than if I were to focus on one thing at a time. I know that I wouldn't want to text while I'm driving, deliver eggs while on a pogo stick, or read a newspaper while riding a bike. Birding in between tasks isn't all that satisfying either.

 I'm looking forward to the next time that I can focus all my attention on birding. At least I was able to finish this post about multitask birding (while watching NFL football and eating nachos)!


Cindy said...

Your posts are always amusing.. At least you saw the birdies..BTW.. 20 turkeys visited today..What the flock? They are an all-season regular now, tho' fewer in warmer months..Best in 2013!

Kathie Brown said...

Larry, I find that birding is a great way to pass the time when I have to wait for others, so I carry my bins everywhere, but I agree, Birding for birding itself is best! and Yes, Chris Rohrer and I are going to do a Big January. (I must be nuts!) Are you going to keep a record of participants on your blog?

Larry said...

Cindy-It looks like the turkeys must have had a good year!

Kathie-I'm not sure if I'll keep a list but I know you usually do Kathie.I'm going to have to wait to the weekend before I can put any real effort in. Good luck to you and Chris!

Cindy said...

The vision of delivering eggs while on a pogo-stick had me Laughing-Out-Loud. You crack me up... Larry

Ruth said...

Looks like you are off to a good start. My count is only 20 so far. Even my feeders are vacant because of a persistent Cooper's Hawk. Because of our severe summer drought we have no berries/wild grapes and birds like Cedar Waxwings have been scarce the past few months. It is interesting to see the different patterns each January.

Larry said...

Cindy-eggs on a pogo stick-"Crack me up"-unintentional pun?

Ruth-I really haven't started yet.This weekend will be my first real go at big January.