Sunday, December 28, 2014

Redheads And More At Meriden's Hanover Pond

I visited Hanover pond in Meriden for the first time the day after Christmas. Much of Meriden is an urban area but they do have their share of hiking trails, ponds and birding areas. This is a photo of the undeveloped side of the pond.
I've been curious about this particular area and when it was reported that Redheads were seen there I thought I would go look for them. It was the first time I've seen this species of duck. Their heads are round, puffy, and rufous (that word always sounds odd word to me). The black-tipped bluish bill was also noticeable. 
As I was watching the ducks a sharpie was watching my every move from the tree above me.Later in the day I also noticed a Bald Eagle perched in one of the trees. Interestingly, the ducks started swimming toward the other side of the pond when the eagle showed up.
There was also plenty of Common and Hooded Mergansers (above) in the pond.
On the other side of the pond was a parking area near a ball field. I tried to take photos of the birds over there but the goose in charge said no Paparazzi!
I like when swans display their feathers like this. It gives them a more elegant appearance.
 I'm looking forward to a return visit to explore some of the other trails in the same area. This historic red bridge leads to the linear trail which follows alongside the Quinnipiac River. 

It's always nice when you come across a new local spot that is good for birding.The weather was great, there were lots of birds and I seeing the Redheads for the first time was like getting another Christmas present.

8 comments:

Linda said...

Gorgeous series, Larry. The reflections in your photos are superb!

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice bird pix!

Michelle said...

Some really beautiful shots and I enjoyed seeing the Swan.

warriormom said...

Beautiful shots! Swan pic is gorgeous.

Cathy said...

Oh my word! That swan picture! Beautiful. Did you possibly get a shot of it dipping its beak toward the water? This poem needs a better pix than I ever achieved.


The Kiss


A summer rain eclipsed the sun,
and turned the world upside down.
The pond unburdened by reflected sky
was now a mirror for the dragon fly.

Geese nodded hello to the rose mallow,
who leaned far out and was bending low,
to catch its blush in the dark-pearled face
upturned by the pond for the sun’s re-embrace.

Before the breeze teased the clouds apart,
the swan dipped its head and formed a heart
with a graceful ghost who echoed the bliss
of a day transformed by this watery kiss.

So moved was the wraith by this feathery love,
he quivered with joy for the life up above,
and rippled away in white shimmering rows
that trembled again in my admiring “Ohs!”

Cathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Larry said...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Cathy-thanks for the poem.I may have gotten a beak-dipping photo that day but I do have a habit of deleting all of the photos I don't use.I should probably hang on to some just in case.

TexWisGirl said...

i'd LOVE to see a redhead in person! my favorite wood carving is a redhead duck.