Sunday, January 22, 2017

A Winter Woodland Oasis At Highlawn Forest

 I love taking a hike through the woods on a sunny winter day but it can be tough to find birds in the forest this time of the year. I walked for about a mile on one trail and saw nothing but a crow flying over and heard only the lonely whistle of a distant titmouse.

On my way home I made one more stop at Highlawn Forest which is located in Middletown next to the Connecticut Forest And Park Association Headquarters. I sat on the bench and leaned up against that table to try to hide myself  a little. 
I visited this place once before during spring migration but thought-meh-not much out of the ordinary to see here. I was a bit spoiled at the time from seeing so many migrants at other prime locations so I didn't give it much of a chance. 

As it turns out, the vernal pools and damp leaves make this a winter oasis for woodland birds. In a time span of about 20 minutes I saw 30 robins, a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, 5 titmice, 3 White-breasted Nuthatches, and 3 Golden-crowned kinglets, including the one in the photo. 

4 comments:

Michelle said...

This is a wonderful photo. I also enjoy a walk through our farm woods on a winter day. Nothing quite like it.

Nadezda said...

Hi, Larry,
I've read about kinglets, known they live here too but have never seen them in the woods. Fortunately you've shown this bird, thanks for sharing.

Anu said...

Great photo of that beautiful Golden-crowned kinglet.

Larry said...

Thanks!