Saturday, February 8, 2020

Stopped In My Tracks By Waxwings

 This month I've been going out early on Sunday mornings with a wish list of birds I'd like to see and a predetermined idea of where I'm going to look for them. Sometimes I never make it to those places I'm going  or see the birds I'm looking for.

On this particular morning I ran into a tree full of Cedar Waxwings. 


 You'll usually find waxwings in a bush full of berries or a tree full of fruit. I like the way their eyes are set in a mask and that tail dipped in yellow. They are unique birds that have their own little section in the field guide.
The Red-shouldered Hawks are like the Red-tailed Hawks of the country roads. The Red-tails sit up on the highway poles but the shoulders often perch on the back road wires.

I've come to realize that I may not always make it to where I'm going or see what I'm hoping to see when bird-watching. It's just as important to me to stop when a moment presents itself and not just pass by what's right in front of my face. 

No comments: