Friday, February 3, 2023

February Is A Time To Chill, literally!

With January behind us it is time to change strategy. I am not likely to add many new bird species to my year list in February so I will take a more laid back approach until we reach the heart of Spring. I started out February by enjoying the scenery from this little beach along the river in Middletown. I did find one new first of year bird in the woods behind me. It was the sneaky little Brown Creeper.

It was such a nice sunny day and in the 40's. As I am posting this, the temperature is plummeting and will reach below zero with the wind-chill factor by tomorrow!
Beyond that, there were maybe a dozen species of birds including female Hooded Mergansers.
There were also some house finches around which were captured and shipped to New York City in 1940 to b enjoyed as colorful pets. They escaped and/or were released from pet stores and populated in northeastern United States. Now they are very common here in Connecticut.

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

We get so see house finches later in the winter around here. I had no idea that they were kept as pets!

We are warming up this week as you get blasted with cold. Stay warm.