Thursday, October 24, 2024

Bridges, Birds, And Bumblebees

I've been trying to make use of my bike lately and to keep my birdwatching local. I took a ride down to this bridge and walked along both sides of the road.
My bird of the morning was this Hermit Thrush. Being without your car tends to make me a little more patient because I'm not going to be tempted to chase rare birds around the state on my bike.

 I found this Hermit quietly perched on a branch hidden behind a tree. I might have overlooked it if I had been in a rush but on this particular day, I was taking time to stop and smell the flowers.I noticed something encouraging this year. I have seen more bumblebees than I have in the past few years. I counted over 20 of them on one mum plants. It has been reported that the population has decreased by as much as 90 percent over the last 20 years so I'm hoping that they are on the increase again. Pollinators are important! 

1 comment:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

One never tries of a Hermit Thrush. Every time I see one it's like a first date. Exciting and wonderful.