It is native to Europe, Asia, and North Africa but considered an invasive weed in the United States because it outcompetes other native plants. It has a long tap root and a sharp spiny stem making them difficult to eradicate. It's too bad because I thought they would look good in the backyard but the negatives outweigh the positives.
A Connecticut native with an interest in birding shares his outdoor adventures
Thursday, July 23, 2026
Spear Thistle: Beautiful And Useful But Invasive!
During a recent walk I came across this plant that I thought was really eye-catching! I found out that it is called Spear Thistle. It is an attractive nectar source for bees and butterflies. It is a food source for finches and according to what I've read, it can be consumed by humans. Even the stems can be used as a celery substitute if the spikes are removed (don't take my word for this, just what I read).

It is native to Europe, Asia, and North Africa but considered an invasive weed in the United States because it outcompetes other native plants. It has a long tap root and a sharp spiny stem making them difficult to eradicate. It's too bad because I thought they would look good in the backyard but the negatives outweigh the positives.
It is native to Europe, Asia, and North Africa but considered an invasive weed in the United States because it outcompetes other native plants. It has a long tap root and a sharp spiny stem making them difficult to eradicate. It's too bad because I thought they would look good in the backyard but the negatives outweigh the positives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment