Thursday, February 22, 2007

Birding at Rocky Hill Meadows in Rocky Hill Connecticut



I'm going to start by mentioning a place that was new to me this year. It is known by many, but not considered one of Connecticut's top hot spots. One of the main attractions at Rocky Hill Meadows is being able to see a variety of shore birds at an inland location. I just started to learn some shorebirds this year, and was really excited at some of the birds I was able to see at these meadows. There were several species of Sandpiper including Baird's , Buff-breasted, Semipalmated and Pectoral.

On one rainy afternoon we saw an American Golden Plover, along with dozens of Yellowlegs wading in the puddles. There were also Short-billed Dowitchers sighted here.
If you watch the CT. rare bird alert :http://www.virtualbirder.com/bmail/ctbird/index.html during the summer it will help you determine when certain birds are showing up . I had most of my success during the month of September. Weather conditions also play a factor when searching for migrating shorebirds, but that is a little beyond my knowledge at this point. I just know I had better luck after heavy rain. Maybe someone with more information on this subject can contribute some information.
Anyhow, if you've never been to Rocky Hill Meadows you might want to give it a try. It is located at the Rocky Hill Ferry Landing-(route 99 to Route 160). When you arrive at the ferry parking area , drive through the gated entrance to left .This will bring you to a series of fields. The area is actively farmed , so you must be prepared to give tractors the right of way. There are also no trespassing signs posted in some locations.-good luck!

No comments: