Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Flooded Fairgrounds, Herons & Turkey Tails

The town fair has been cancelled due to flooding conditions during  some years. As you can see from this photo it makes parking  difficult and cotton candy soggy. Fortunately, the fair is not until October but it seems I'll have to wait for the water to recede before I can return to birding at my favorite local patch. 
 I made it down to the local heron rookery before flood waters hit.
 I'm guessing that the Great Blue Herons probably benefit from a little flood water.
Meanwhile, the town turkeys stayed on dry land so they could display their tail feathers without getting their feet wet. Did you know that turkeys can swim when they want to? 

4 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

the turkeys are handsome!

Phil Slade said...

What a shame that your birding patch was flooded. Hope it's recovered by now. The rookery looks very exposed to any bad weather too.

I didn't know Wild Turkeys could swim but I guess that's another escape mechanism for them? That's some display and you captured it really well. Very Nice.

Larry said...

Thanks-That birding patch gets flooded every year around this time of year for a couple of weeks so nothing new.

troutbirder said...

Your kidding. And I heard they were to dumb to get out of the rain....