Sunday, February 11, 2018

Blackbirds Galore Video And Birding By Car

I spent the morning checking the fairground area along the Connecticut and then cruising the back roads for more birds.
My most interesting find at the fairgrounds was a large number blackbirds moving through the area.There was a flock of probably over a thousand Red-winged Blackbirds and grackles which was quite a sight!

I usually don't see this many until March. From what I understand, the birds have been in close communication with local groundhogs who share valuable information about the arrival of spring based on whether or not they see their shadows.The video shows just a small portion of the total flock departing from one of the trees.
While I was cruising around in the car I came across a Pileated Woodpecker working over a tree. Birding by car can be a bit dangerous because you tend to be distracted while searching for birds. For that reason, I try to stay on quiet back roads, make use of emergency flashers while I'm driving, and pull off the road whenever I see a car coming. Birding by car is advantageous because it allows you to get closer to birds without scaring them off.

The reason this video has a color effect was so I could hide the fact that the woodpecker was out of focus. Now when you watch it you'll think I am creative genius and won't know I'm a lousy videographer! 
Another note: I thought that I was just labeling the video files for my own reference. I did not realize titles like "cartoon pileated" and "red wing fury" would end up in the post!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I always enjoy the Red Winged Blackbirds. So far just crows for us and some Robins, which were quite the surprise.

The Furry Gnome said...

That's a lot of blackbirds!

troutbirder said...

I'm taking more and more to birding back roads by car. Physical infirmities of age cause much of it. Still many good days are still to be had. I post some views on my nature blog a highlight be twenty trumpeter swans in Minnesota's White Water Valley and some Bald Eagles already on the nest...:)