Thursday, June 14, 2018

Very Productive Power Line Cut Birding

 I was disappointed when the power company started doing some heavy cutting along the power line cuts in our area.I didn't see nearly as many birds in some of my favorite spots but that led me to a further investigation of this section of power line cuts on East Cotton Hill Road.It's a hilly path that turned out to be loaded with birds (52 species) for about a 2 mile stretch. I recorded numbers of Prairie Warblers that prompted eBird to question if I was really seeing that many (12 but it was probably closer to 20).

 Now that I am out of the mode of chasing new year birds for my list I can take my time carefully counting every bird and taking pictures of species like Chipping Sparrows.
 and Indigo Buntings.
 I wish I could have gotten a better photo but was thrilled to get such great views of Scarlet Tanagers.
It was quite a hike up the hill and back. I wish that I brought some water because I was worn out by the time I started back and I didn't like the way this vulture as looking at me. I considered laying down to see if the vulture would come down to check me out but I ruled that out because there were too many ticks.

No comments: