Saturday, October 20, 2018

Habitat Search Led Me To Purple Finches


Sometimes I will just drive around country roads and look for habitat that I think might be good for birds rather than go to places I'm already familiar with. I'll look for things like water features, berry bushes, weeds, cedar trees, tall grass, and shrubs.If I see signs of bird activity I'll stop and check it out. this time I as rewarded with a nice view of a pair of Purple Finches stuffing their bills.The male Purple Finch is on the top.It has more of a raspberry color to it versus the reddish color of the male House Finches. I don't see a lot of Purple Finches so I'm always happy to come across them.
The female has a sort whitish eyebrow mark.
Sometimes my initial roadside search I will explore the area in further detail. I came across this little area near some hilltop power lines where someone created a nice little stone sanctuary. 

Birding can become routine and predictable so heading out blindly with binoculars and using your own instincts to look for birds can be a rewarding way to go about it.

No comments: