Sunday, June 23, 2019

First Summer Weekend Shore Tour

 We had beautiful weather for the first official weekend of the summer. I decided to visit the central shoreline where there were still several bird species I have not yet seen this year.
 I haven't done a lot of reading lately but I've noticed these little free libraries popping up everywhere. What a great idea! You can take a book to read for free and leave a book that you've already had the pleasure of reading (or not reading). It's the 10th anniversary of the start of the little free library. You can read about the history of its beginnings here: Little Free Library.
 I stopped by to see my old cottage at Cornfield Point. I never owned it but I can't tell you how many times I used it as a landmark while out on the sound in my fishing boat.
 There are so many Osprey down at the shore these days that I wouldn't have time to count them all. It's a good problem to have.
 Also numerous are the egrets. Here is the Great Egret enjoying a little morning snack. 
 Here is a Snowy Egret proudly showing off his posture.
 There were about 2 dozen oystercatchers along side the egrets. I saw them all in an area called Pilot's Point. It is a great place to get up close to the birds during low tide. They are so busy eating that they aren't easily spooked.
Yellow-crowned Night Herons are a little more difficult to find but I've been able to find them in Clinton the last few years.

So it was a nice start to the summer for me. Gorgeous weather and 4 new species for the year: Little Blue Heron Yellow-crowned Night Heron, American Oystercatcher, and Least Tern. 

How did you spend your first weekend of the summer?

No comments: