Friday, July 12, 2024

Black-bellied Whistling Duck

I got a tip-off from a fellow birder that there was Black-bellied Whistling Ducks down in West Haven. I've never seen on before so didn't mind driving a little out of the way in hopes they would still be there. With a name like that how could I resist? The black bellies, reddish bill, and light eye ring were easily visible for identification.
They are described as goose-like ducks with a long neck.

Their name sounds like it was contrived by someone who was poking fun at birders! I didn't hear them vocalizing but I've been told that some of them are good enough to imitate the whistling section of Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay!

2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I've never heard of them either!
Neat!

Anonymous said...

You got a great capture of them. New to me.