- Dslr cameras have bigger sensors than the superzooms which one of the reasons the dslr's procuce better picture images.
- Bigger numbers don't always mean better images. 30x optical zoom does not mean you can take a photo of a bird from twice the distance of a 15x optical zoom camera. I'm not exactly how the whole zoom thing works but the numbers are misleading. I've also read that more megapixels does not necessarily mean better quality photos.
What I'm really looking for is a camera that is very similar to a dslr camera but has a fixed superzoom lens. The most popular superzoom cameras used by birders seems to be the Canon superzooms followed by the Panasonic Lumix Series of cameras but there are many others brands on the market.
Here are a few cameras that I have been considering.
- Canon Powershot sx20-This should be an improvement over my camera. It has HD video, 20x optical zoom and 12.1 megapixels. From what I've seen, it still doesn't perform very well in low light.
- Panasonic DMC-FZ35-This is has 18x optical zoom but it uses a Leica lens. Some say that this camera produces sharper images and works better in low light than the Canon does.
- Panasonic DMC FZ50 -It is the opinion of some that this is still the best superzoom avaiolable. It has a manual focus ring just like the dslr's do. This particular model came out in 2006 but for some reason the retail price on this camera has increased instead of decreased. It has 12x optical zoom versus the 20x or 30x that the other superzooms come with these days.
- Fujifilm Finepix HS-10 -This is due to be released in April. It has a lot of promising features but can it deliver on those promises? : 30x, "superior low light performance ", high speed shooting capability, manual focus ring, and twist-barrel manual zoom are just a few of the advertised features. If this camera lives up to its claims it might be the one I'm looking for.
I plan on purchasing the camera soon but I'm holding off a bit due to a past experience. Some time ago, I bought a 36" Sony television. It is so heavy that the glass doors on the stand upon which it sat shattered from the pressure caused by the weight of the television. If I had held off for one more year , I could have purchased a high definition flatscreen television for the same price. That is why I have been taking the wait and see approach with the cameras.
For those of you who currently use a superzoom camera-Are you pleased with the performance of your camera? What do you like or not like about it?