Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Breaking Routines And Self-imposed Rules


I think that most people have some sort of routine that they follow from the time we wake up, do our chores, eat, exercise... et cetera. We might also have some self-imposed rules like no eating after 9pm for example, or maybe something more personal and specific. The positive impact of these routines is that it helps make our lives more efficient but if we don't allow ourselves flexibility then we might be building our own personal prisons. You might end up breaking your own rules and then feel guilty about it!  

I was contemplating all of this when it occurred to me that my connection with nature is very limited during the work week. Somewhere along the way I decided that I was too busy during the week so any birding or nature appreciation would have to be primarily reserved for weekends. The truth is that sometimes even 5 minutes to appreciate the colors of the sky just after sunset.
It only took 5 minutes to finally meet the woodchuck that fails to chuck wood but was very successful at eating half the vegetables in my garden this summer.
I left for work 20 minutes early one day and brought along my camera. It was early enough that the Red-tailed hawk hadn't finished its morning stretching and didn't yet have the energy to fly away. I've never carried my camera to work with me because? I really don't know why.
Early on I read that when taking pictures of birds you should try to focus on the head and make the eye the focal point. I've tried to follow that rule but what's wrong with taking a picture showing the reddish tail of a hawk? Another rule broken.
I don't think I've ever bothered taking photos of birds after the sun has gone down but who can ignore a waxwing perched on a dead branch? 

Sometimes changing old routines and rules can open up new opportunities.

7 comments:

warriormom said...

I'm glad you changed your routine and broke a few rules!! Beautiful captures.

June said...

I love everything about this post!!!
Thanks!

France Paulsen said...

I love the message behind the story today - it is something that I needed to hear today. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Years ago I stopped making lists, as soon as I retired I allowed myself to be random...Continue with your nature breaks..Lovely!

Steadyjohn said...

My rule: have a camera, or two with me at all times. My work involves a lot of driving so it during those journeys that I make most of my photographs. I don't get to do much "birding" but I do see a lot of beautiful country! The cameras usually with me are a small pocket Canon and a full size Nikon.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I have been going to the powerlines later and what fun with the deer, hawks and barred owls.
Deb

Larry said...

The powerlines are always productive for something.I'd like to get a look at one of those barred owls.