Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Some Nice Sightings At Sharon Audubon Center

 I camped out at Macedonia Brook State Park this weekend. During the day I decided to take a ride over to The Sharon Audubon Center which was within close driving distance. There are several well-marked trails on the property. with a couple of nice ponds on property. The progression of fall foliage was still in the early stages.
They had a blind conveniently set up on the edge of the first pond. I was able to get a good view of Wood Ducks from this location and imagine that it would come in very handy once some of the migrating ducks arrive. The second pond featured boardwalks and  benches set at the edge of the pond making my birding experience very comfortable.
 They also have a raptor aviary with hawks,owls, falcons, and a Bald Eagle which are unable to survive in the wild.
 I caught a nice view of a Swamp Sparrow at the edge of the pond.
 This Blue-headed Vireo was a nice find for me but I don't think I've ever seen one with so much green color!
Another surprise was 2 animals that were swimming around in the reeds. They didn't allow me much of a view but they looked like otters. I've only seen otters maybe once or twice in my life so that was exciting.

It was perfect weather and the scenery in Litchfield County is beautiful in the Fall. I spent a lot of time hiking up hills, checking out back road scenery, and visiting other parks such as  Mowhawk Mountain but the highlight of my trip was my time spent at the Sharon Audubon Center. It was the perfect way to end the month of September.

4 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Looks like a relaxing way to spend the weekend. There's always great finds around these places. Enjoy fall!

FAB said...

Nice fall colours appearing and an interesting mix of wildlife Larry.

I'm intrigued by the small viewing slots in the bird screen ... not something we are used to over here.

TexWisGirl said...

looks like a great place! i like the blind set-up. thanks for stopping by today!

Unknown said...

I always enjoy your rambles. Thanks for sharing the wildlife of CT!