Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Where Have All The Birdies Gone?

We have seen our share of gray skies and snow in Connecticut over the last week. Nothing too bad but it seems to have put a damper on my local birding activities. I've had the occasional glimpse titmouse in the treetop or a junco in the juniper bush but it's been kind of quiet overall.
 My wife and I took a winter break with a stay at an inn along the Mystic River but the snow followed us and there were no birds to be seen on the water. Still, it was nice to be able to take in the view and warm our bones beside the fire.
 I rushed to get out for a walk yesterday afternoon when I saw there was finally a break in the clouds but had to settle for a glimpse of geese at sunset on the Connecticut River.  

5 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

It's a strange thing to not see birds but I imagine the walks and drives are beautiful! Lovely photos.

Kathie Brown said...

Larry, finding birds in winter is always such a chore! but sometimes it can be very rewarding. That fire looks so inviting and the scenes along the river are gorgeous. Love the snow covered trees along the roadside.

Larry said...

They're around of course but kind of sparse and mostly just out of reach from my camera. it gets very active around mid-March here. Until then, I just need to make more trips to the shore.

Anu said...

Nice photos! Don’t worry: spring is coming and the birds comes too!

Have a nice birding week!

Anonymous said...

After weeks of having over 50 Common Redpolls at my feeders everyday, the numbers have gone down and I've been seeing fewer every day.