Saturday, April 23, 2016

Pictures Don't Always Tell The Whole Story

 It's hard for me to remember what it was like to go birding without bringing my camera along. I like having a visual record of what I see but there is a lot that happens when I'm birding that I never capture on film. For example, seconds after I saw this American Oystercatcher a jolly old Labrador Retriever came crashing though the water and chased him off.
You can see from this photo that there are about 20 Glossy Ibises in this photo. What you can't see is that there are 85 more of them outside of this frame making a total of  over 100. I was watching them from Indian River Cemetery in Clinton which overlooks a marsh. There was a light rain falling at the time.
 It had a nice experience get very close to a Great Blue Heron I saw at Devil's Hopyard. I could have reached out and touched it. 
  I wanted to get a photo of the whole bird with the sun behind my back. I was trying to explain that to the heron little but I don't think it understood English. At least we seemed to hit it off fairly well.
 This Ruby-crowned kinglet actually flew right toward my camera 3 times. Maybe it was attracted to the beeping sound or a reflection off of the lens. It does have an eye but it's hard to tell when no light is reflecting off of it.
What's going on with this Little Blue Heron? Hairon gel? wind? or maybe just a bad hair day? Every picture tells a story but not always the whole story.

4 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Some neat pictures there! Love the heron feathers, and the bad hair day Little Blue!

Michelle said...

I like the Ibises, but the Heron steals the show. Quite a hair-do!

Anu said...

Wonderful photos! The Little Blue Heron looks so cute :)

Nan said...

I love this post. The Little Blue Heron is adorable. And the Great Blue is so striking. A wonderful shot. Love the Labrador story. I have one myself.