Sunday, June 30, 2024

The Crows And I Are Patrolling The Yard

I've been taking a break from active birding so that I can catch up with the yardwork. There were giant hemlocks in the area you are looking at but the woolly adelgids destroyed them. I decided to plant a few smaller shrubs and flowers in their place.
I spend a lot of time doing yardwork but ironically, I don't spend much time just sitting and relaxing in the yard. I decided to take a coffee break and enjoy the view. I caught a quick glimpse of a hummingbird visiting some flowers.
Growing herbs and vegetables is another hobby. I tried to keep things simple and easy to maintain by making a homemade whiskey barrel raised garden. I don't think the woodchucks will be getting at these.
One bird that I have found to be surprisingly interesting is the Common American crow. They nested in the woods in back of my yard and they have provided non-stop action. They perch on roofs, raid the neighbors for food, and have a wide variety of colorful vocalizations as they interact with each other and the fledglings.
Watching them in the yard has come to make me appreciate the intelligence of a bird that a dismiss in 2 seconds when I am out birdwatching.
Another bird that has been all over the pace this season is the House Wren. I hear them all the time but only see them pop out in the open occasionally. 

It's been nice taking a summer break from biding and just spending more time in the backyard. I will gradually get back out  in the birding scene again but I'm not in any hurry!
 

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I like your whiskey barrel raised garden. I find a raised garden much easier to work with. Have you ever considered leaving food for the crows to see what they might bring in exchange. I have thought of doing this, but was afraid of attracting too many.

Val Ewing said...

You gardens are amazing!
I have a unorganized garden around my porch, so I can sit and enjoy the flowers and the view.

Woodchucks. I don't appreciate them too much! They can do so much damage. One chewed a hole in my car's transmission line.

Larry said...

I haven't tried leaving food for crows but since yo mentioned that i will give it a try!


Woodchucks can be very destructive. I spent hours of work setting up a nice garden one year and woodchucks just about wiped it out.