Friday, March 9, 2007

My Pal- The Skunk


Maybe I've thrown a little too much cracked corn on the ground. This morning, at about 6am, I looked out the window to see a skunk having breakfast under the bird feeders. I think that they may be setting up house under my shed.


That brings to mind a couple of skunk stories. One day, a couple of years ago, I looked out the window to see momma skunk followed by four baby skunks. They walked in perfect profile across the yard.


Last Summer, as I was lying out at night in a lawn chair stargazing, two skunks entered the yard and started to approach me. I was afraid to move. The skunks brushed right up against the side of my chair. I slowly tapped a key on my chair, and they gradually walked away. Have you ever had a close encounter with a skunk?


3 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

That's really a close encounter! I've never seen a skunk except at a didtance. I think they're quite pretty.

dguzman said...

I think they're really cute, but that smell! I've never seen one close-up live, and I hope I never do, but they're entitled to their space on the planet just like everything else. Still, I sure hope none of them tries to set up house on my property; we don't have air conditioning so during the summer we're at their mercy!

Larry said...

They don't stink much more than the corned beef and cabbage we cooked this weekend.