- A single diagonal line in the check box means that I have seen less than five birds of a particular species.
- I will make an x in the box if I have seen 5-10 birds of a particular species.
- If I see a flock of 10-50, I will fill in half of the check box.
- If the flock is over 50, I will fill in the whole box.
- If it is a flock of over 100, I will fill it in and circle it.
This may seem complicated, but it is much easier for me than to try to count actual numbers of birds. I also keep a small sketch pad to make notes or sketches.
That's where I'm at for the moment. Trying to maintain a balance between keeping some kind of record without taking the fun out of birding. Hopefully, this system will work out. Do you keep records of what you see? What type of system do you have for keeping records?