Friday, April 27, 2007

Here is a report of a Fisher Cat that was e-mailed to me:

Just wanted to report a fisher cat sighting in Storrs Mansfield, CT, just before dark yesterday evening 4/26/07, in woods behind our home in a neighborhood adjacent to the University of Connecticut campus, west of the Mansfield Community Center and north of Moss Preserve (to the south across S. Eagleville Rd.).

It was all black, no brown as I’ve seen in some photos online. Seemed a bit smaller than some in the pictures as well, about the size of our cat, who did keep his distance but watched with considerable interest from our back porch. A few days before, I had noticed unfamiliar scat on an old rotten stump in our back yard. It was an elongated turd, very different from the deer pellets we frequently see in the same area of the yard, and looked more similar to our cat’s, but he buries his.
--David
Has anyone else had any experiences with Fisher Cats?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have only seen a Fisher once but I have been hearing them for the past 3 years during the summer months! They have a strange yell! Never heard of it called a fisher cat though! Learn something new every day! Ours were much larger than one of my cats!

Cathy said...

Well - I'm headed over to 'google'. I don't think I know this critter.

Larry said...

Monarch-I think Fisher is a more proper term.-Fisher Cat is slang.
Cathy-I know that they are fast carnivores related to weasels.

Dee said...

I have heard of them but have never seen them. Odd looking critters.

Larry said...

Cathy-What did yoy learn about the fisher?

Anonymous said...

Fisher's can be very aggressive towards pets, even kill them on occasion. And they are not friendly to humans either. DO NOT APPROACH! Despite their size they are very dangerous if provoked and will attack the jugular region. I've seen one in particular that is adept at catching squirrels in tree tops. They are very quick as well...lukily, reclusive is one of their traits.

Anonymous said...

Just saw my first Fisher this morning running through our yard in Killingworth -- what a surprise! It was a large one -- bigger than your average cat. I've heard of them, but never seen one before.