Thursday, October 31, 2013

Birding At Haunted Connecticut Cemeteries

This photo was taken at Union Cemetery in Easton Connecticut. It is rumored to be haunted by the White Lady who appears to be dressed in a white nightgown and has long flowing dark hair covered by a white bonnet. Many people have reported seeing her over the years. There are graves at this cemetery dating back 400 years.
This is the Connecticut Valley Psychiatric Hospital cemetery. Some people say they have heard strange voices and glowing green orbs hovering over the grave sites.

 Sadly, the head stones in this cemetery are marked with only numbers instead of names because it used to be considered an embarrassment to have family members with mental illness. Fortunately, mental illness no longer carries the same stigma. Large stones were recently erected with a listing of the names and the matching grave site numbers of the people who are buried here. 

I'm skeptical of any reports about ghosts or other supernatural phenomena but I'm also curious. I've witnessed things during my lifetime that seem to defy explanation. That doesn't mean there isn't an explanation , just that I don't know what the explanation is. I don't believe everything I read or hear but I don't accept every scientific explanation as fact either. People make mistakes, even scientists. 

For several years there were reports of cougar sightings in Connecticut. The official word from the experts was that the people  were probably seeing bobcats, coyotes or other animals and mistaking them for cougars. It was said to be nearly impossible for a wild cougar to be living in Connecticut. Then one day in 2011 a car ran over a Mountain Lion in Milford, Connecticut. Oops, I guess the experts didn't see that one coming. Genetic testing determined that the animal had traveled here all the way from the Black Hills in South Dakota. Sometimes, amazing things do happen.

So if you were to tell me you see Bigfoot, a ufo, a ghost, or an Ivory-billed Woodpecker I may not believe it but I'll still look for myself anyway. Just in case-you just never know.

Cemeteries are rich in history and have stories to tell if you take the time to look. They can also be good birding spots. I saw my only two Lark Sparrows at cemeteries in Enfield and Bloomfield. Cedar Hill Cemetery in the Hartford area is a popular birding spot and can be very productive at times.
I managed to find a few birds during my visits to Union and CVH cemeteries. I caught a Chipping Sparrow resting on a head stone.......
..........A Ruby-crowned Kinglet was doing a little leaf jumping in the surrounding woods...........
and a Dark-eyed Junco catching some sun on a beautiful Fall day. So did I see any ghosts? You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you so we'll just leave that to your imagination.

6 comments:

troutbirder said...

Fun post, Larry. I remember the story about the traveling mountain lion. He passed through here on his way to Connecticut. Now our expert admit we have more than a few mountain lion here .... all wandering males. No "breeding population" they say. Well... maybe.

TexWisGirl said...

marvelous photos - of both the birds and the cemetery. sad that names were not included on the headstone - hopefully we've come a long way in treating and accepting mental illnesses.

as for spirits? why not? if we believe in the soul, are ghosts or spirits that different? :)

Jen Sanford said...

Gorgeous photos... I am amazed to hear about that cougar! How cool that they could track it back to SD.

June said...

Great post! Love the photos!

Unknown said...

Perfect Halloween post.. I've always loved cemetaries..never thought to go birding in one.."There are mire things in heaven and earth, Horatio..than are dremot if in your philosophy " ;-)

Kathie Brown said...

Larry, I love the graveyard shots. Nice bird finds. I think sometimes that the wildlife officials do not publicly own up to rare wild animal sightings because they want to protect the animals. If news of the cougars became public who knows what idiots would be out there trying to hunt or harrasses the animals. It's amazing to me that they can track that cougar back to the Black Hills of South Dakota and that the animal travelled that far! Wow!