Sunday, April 14, 2019

Fighting My Way Through The Fog

 I had the bright idea this morning to drive down to the shoreline expecting to see my first Great Egret and Glossy Ibis of the year. What I hadn't anticipated was that the entire shoreline would be blanketed with fog. I can appreciate a little fog at a rock concert or if I'm watching a scary movie but not when I'm birding.

The top photo really doesn't reflect the true color. I just became so bored with seeing fog that I decided to put a color filter on it.
 Slooowly the fog started to recede from the land until it was mostly over the water.
 I took a test photo of a pair of Bufflehead but it seems they couldn't even find each other.
 Finally I found a relatively fog free zone. I was so enthusiastic that I took a photo of a Canada Goose who unfortunately seemed to have his head up....never mind. 
This male American Goldfinch made a good effort to change his winter coast but has a little bit of work to go yet.
Waxwings usually seem to hang around for pictures, probably because they're drunk on berries half the time.
 I finally got to see my first egret. it turned out to be a Snowy Egret (black bill-yellow feet) instead of the Great Egret. So the fog may have slowed things down a little bit but in the end it was all worth it. 

No comments: