Monday, September 19, 2022

Migration Time For Hawks

The old saying is "Red in the morning, sailors take warning" We did end up having some storms later in the day so maybe there is some truth to the old saying.
I have been getting out birding with one eye to the sky because there is a major migration of hawks that takes place in mid to late September. In this case, I followed the river at my old stomping grounds along the Connecticut River at Wangunk Meadows in Portland.
Generally you don't see to many hawks in flight until mid-morning when it gets warmer so they can ride up on the thermals. 

I was  out early and finished before 9am but there are other birds migrating this time of the year too. I saw my first Lincoln's Sparrow of the year. They have that fine streaking with a little bit of caramel splashed along the side.
I did encounter a hawk that was perched in a tree. I have a hard time identifying young hawks. I was thinking this might be a Cooper's Hawk but really wasn't sure. Anyway, It's great fall weather to be out bird-watching now!

No comments: