Thursday, December 15, 2022

No Agenda Birding Then Along Comes An Owl

It's almost the end of the year and I've run out of any birding-related goals. I've got a Christmas bird count coming up this weekend and it was pretty chilly this morning. I decided to take a walk in a small nature preserve and really wasn't worried about what I would or wouldn't see. It was all about just taking a slow walk and observing whatever bird I might happen to come across.
I was perfectly content watching typical winter sparrows, finches, woodpeckers, and Northern Cardinals like the one in the above photo. We kind of take the brilliant colored cardinals for granted but they really seem to stand out in the winter months.
I was on my way out and ready to head home when Baam! I came face to face with a Barred Owl! It's always a good day when you get to see an owl!
Especially when they're staring straight into your eyes! Who-cooks-for-you? is the call of the Barred Owl. Of course, no one cooks for them. They prefer organic woodland sushi!
 

7 comments:

Dick Mansfield said...

Great post - wonderful bird.

Val Ewing said...

That is really awesome. I get to hear a Barred Owl most evenings. I love it when more than one of them are 'talking' in the woods.

Anonymous said...

Yes. The first time I heard them talking back and forth I was camping in the deep woods. The sounds they made were really eerie until I figured out what they were.

L. D. said...

The owl is perfect. It just watches you and sits up straight. The cardinal is a great color.

Larry said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great picture! I would love to see an Owl close up

Linda said...

That’s a great looking owl!