Sunday, April 25, 2010

Birding Jackets From A Second Hand Store?

I bought this second hand Eddie Bauer jacket at a Goodwill store for just $6.00 after my search for a new birding jacket at several local sporting goods stores came up short. It might not be the latest style but that shouldn't be an issue for someone whose wardrobe consists mainly of Dickee's work pants and Fruit of The loom T-shirts.
-
What I like about the jacket is the neutral color, it has 2 horizontal pockets deep enough to carry a field guide, it's light enough to use most of the year, and it has a zipper that doesn't get stuck (if you've ever had a coat with a zipper that constantly gets caught on the material then you know what I'm talking about). In addition, I paid someone a few dollars to add a pocket to the inside of the jacket which can hold the 5x7 Rite in the Rain notebook that I recently purchased.

Sometimes it pays to check the second hand stores. Not only did it save me money but I rack up a few points for "Going Green"!

13 comments:

Carol said...

It's amazing what you can find at a good second hand store. Have fun shopping and birding...I've found a lot of stuff with the tags still on them.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Susan T. said...

Nice find! I was thinking about many-pocketed jackets just today at Sherwood Island as I realized I needed to bring along a little notebook in addition to the camera and binoculars. I think I'll remember everything, but...

P.S. 5 glossy ibses at Sherwood Island today! New birds for me.

Chris said...

Congrats for this new jacket Larry... Let's hope it will be easy to use and that the birds will love it too ;-)

Hilke Breder said...

A functional jacket that is comfortable and does not interfere with the task at hand is worth every dollar you spend on it, and great for you that you you had to spend so little on it, with added bonus of low carbon footprint.

Ruth said...

It is always gratifying to find a good deal. I do look around in second hand stores but seldom find anything suitable for myself. Some people I know have great luck though. I want a mosquito jacket, but doubt I will get one second hand.

Lana Gramlich said...

Score! Gotta love the 2nd-hand stores!

Larry said...

Carol-I've noticed that there are lots of newer items at these stores too.

Susan-Nice! it's been a while since I've seen a Glossy Ibis.I have a travel vest with 18 pockets but some times I prefer just a plain old jacket.

Chris-I figured this was a good spot to post about my jacket since I didn't get any photos of birds between the rain and working. Maybe the jacket will bring me good luck.

Hilke-low carbon footprint-forgot about that phrase-yes-gotta love a bargain.

Ruth-I'm pretty flexible when it comes to clothes so I can usually find something but this particular jacket took 3 or 4 trips back to the same store before I could find one that was suitable for what I was looking for.

Harold Stiver said...

Well done, thats a great find. Its hard to get a coat with big pockets without spending a fortune.

Cheers, Harold

Dawn Fine said...

Awesome find! and that is Going Green!

Anonymous said...

Yes, sometimes you get to find the stuff that you really like than those you see on other stores. That's good find, best buy.^^

Larry said...

Harold-If only the big pockets came filled with money I'd like the coat even better.

dawn-Funny how that phrase going green became popular. 20 years ago the phrase would have had something to do with St. Patrick's day or feeling sick to your stomach.

Kathie Brown said...

Good for you!

Michale said...

Hi you are doing a great job. I was looking for this information. I found it on your page its really amazing.
Second Hand Vans